About Me

My photo
Australia
Wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, great-aunt and friend....and fur-kid mum I love Quilting, stitching, photography, cooking, baking, gardening, blogging and making new friends...stop by and say hi!

Tuesday 22 July 2014

Light Bulb Moment

I have put together my final borders on the Mariners Quilt which was my NewFO in May and it is ready for quilting. I have scoured Pinterest for inspiration and put together some ideas on my design printouts but that pieced border was getting the better of me. I just couldn't think of any way to quilt it.


 It finally came to me last night. Like a light bulb suddenly being switched on. I wasn't even thinking about the quilt and suddenly....wham! there it was. Starting in one corner I will move towards the middle creating a swirl and come out of the swirl and move towards the opposite corner.  Doing it this way will make it easy to continue into the next rectangle. My drawing is a little messy as I have drawn over another design which I did not completely erase.....so eager was I to try it out!


I tried several ways to quilt the blades but I have decided on a simple wiggly line with a swirl at the bottom end. Must remember to make the swirls go in one direction though. I saw this done on another Mariners Compass and I liked it.


 I have a design that I will mark onto the corners of the inner square and hopefully I will be able to follow the lines easily.


I bought some blue variegated thread for this while on the Quilters Trail last month but I will be sticking to a neutral colour in the creamy areas. My quilting is not good enough yet to showcase using a different colour on negative space.


 Yes, it is coming together at last.....today I will start the quilting process.

Linking in to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times



 

6 comments:

  1. WOW Cath! Your quilt is looking amazing. Can't wait to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea for your quilting pattern - that's often the hardest part I think - deciding what to put in and where. The different shades of blue give such a lovely fresh look to the quilt. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking wonderful, Cath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that first design for piano key borders. Excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those ideas... it will look perfect...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, Cath !
    You have chosen some great quilting ideas.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments so please leave one....I try to get around to answering ALL comments. If you are having trouble leaving me a comment here...email me at cathquilts(dot)gmail(dot)com(dot)au

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...